Choose the best option: Like many other Britain’s prime ministers, May ____ a place at Oxford.
A. admitted B. permitted C. won D. constituted
Trả lời : C. Won
Dịch: Giống như nhiều thủ tướng khác của Anh, May giành được một suất tại Oxford.
Bài tập Tiếng Anh 12 Unit 1: Life stories
I. Find the word which has a different sound in the part underlined.
1. A. accident
2. A. this
3. A gas
4. A. bought
5. A. spear
II. Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
1. A. remember
2. A. medium
3. A. national
4. A. successful
5. A. construction
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
I. Choose the correct words in the box to complete the sentences.
widely; related; master; inequality;
movement; accomplished; pioneer; increasingly
1. Hughes is one of the most __________ writers in American 20 literary history?
2. Albert Einstein was essentially all ___________ to science meanwhile Leonardo Da Vinci was a _________ at art, architecture, invention, and several other areas.
3. Han Mac Tu was part of the new poetic ________ in Vietnam at the beginning of the 20th century.
4. Han Mac Tu is considered a ____________ of romantic poetry in Vietnam.
5. During his time at University, Nelson Mandela became _________ aware of the racial __________ and injustice faced by non-white people.
6. Steve Jobs is _______ recognized as a pioneer in the field of microcomputer revolution.
|1. accomplished||4. pioneer|
|2. related; master||5. increasingly; inequality|
|3. movement||6. widely|
II. Give the correct form of the words in the following sentences.
1. He was the most __________ football player that our school had produced in years His talent for football was great. TALENT
2. Do you know Professor Phan Huy Le whose great ____________ was his books on the history of Vietnam in the 19th century? ACHIEVE
3. He wishes to straighten up and lead a ___________ life. RESPECT
4. His career as a journalist was full of _________________ achievements. He was a respected and admired journalist. DISTINGUISH
5. To be successful takes hard work and ___________. DEDICATE
6. Doing things with ___________ will give us true happiness. The more we give away, the happier we are. GENEROUS
7. Tran Hung Dao was a great ______________ to lure the enemy to enter deeply into his land, then attacked to destroy them. STRATEGY
8. Mother Teresa was a living saint who offered a great example and ___________ to the world. INSPIRE
9. Zuckerberg was forced to shut his website down, but its immense __________ and controversy had made him consider its future potential. POPULAR
10. As the principal founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates is one of the most _________ and richest people on the planet. INFLUENCE
11. If Presley was considered a _________ and a rebellious figure, it just made him more popular with young listeners. CONTROVERSY
12. Stephen William Hawking got more ___________ for his research and discoveries through his print and TV interviews. RECOGNINZE
|1. talented||5. dedication||9. popularity|
|2. achievement||6. generosity||10. influential|
|3. respectable||7. strategist||11. controversial|
|4. distinguished||8. inspiration||12. recognition|
III. Indicate the correct answer to complete each of the following questions.
1. At his first school, Mark Zuckerberg ____ in all subjects and worked hard throughout his classes.
A. interested B. excelled
C. engrossed D. involved
2. His incredible performance during high school ____ him admission to Harvard University.
A. earned B. attained
C. resorted D. applied
3. Mother Teresa suffered various health problems, but nothing could ____ her from fulfilling her mission of serving the poor and needy.
A. persuade B. warn
C. appoint D. dissuade
4. In 1979, Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for work undertaken in the ____ to overcome poverty and distress.
A. battle B. struggle
C. movement D. proposal
5. At the age of 18, Mother Teresa was ____ permission to join a group of nuns in Ireland.
A. required B. sought
C. obtained D. given
6. Nelson Mandela was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 for his work in helping to end racial ____ in South Africa
7. Princess Diana fought for her children on any level so they could reach their full ____ as human beings and in their public duties.
A. requirement B. condition
C. capacity D. potential
8. Meeting my favorite celebrity at the airport was certainly a ____ of luck that wouldn’t have happened if I’d arrived five minutes later.
A. number B. piece
C. stroke D. name
9. Steve Jobs might hardly imagine that only a year later the company ________ impressive victory with Apple II, one of the first highly successful ____ personal computer.
A. attain / massly-produced
B. see / mass-produced
C. taste / massive produced
D. achieve / mass-producing
10. Ms. May, 59 years old, is the country’s longest-serving home secretary in half a century, with a ____ for seriousness, hard work and above all, determination.
11. Theresa May is one of a growing number of women in traditionally ____ British politics rising to the upper position of leadership.
12. Marilyn Monroe is widely ____ as one of most influential figures in American culture.
A. classified B. depicted
C. admired D. regarded
13. May’s sports hero was Geoffrey Boycott, a solid, stubborn cricketer who ____ in playing the long game.
A. qualified B. specialized
C. engrossed D. indulged
14. Like many other Britain’s prime ministers, May ____ a place at Oxford.
A. admitted B. permitted
C. won D. constituted
15. She has been quite critical ____ the media focusing on her fashion instead of her achievement as a politician.
A. with B. for
C. of D. in
16. Marilyn Monroe was ____ for Golden Globe Best Actress Award for Bus Stop (1956).
17. Marilyn Monroe ____ to a heavy drug use, which had a damaging impact ____ both her mental and physical health.
A. resorted – on
B. abused – in
C. overexploited – to
D. related – for
18. Their family were wealthy but they encouraged their children to work hard and take nothing ____.
A. for sure
B. for good
C. for granted
D. for charge
19. When Bill Gates saw an opportunity to found his own company, he dropped ____ Harvard without finishing his course.
A. into B. by
C. around D. out of
20. Despite the pervasive press intrusions into her private life, Princess Diana remained very popular because people could identify ____ her.
A. in B. for
C. with D. as
21. Elvis was ____ shy and as a youngster was not keen on performing in public.
22. As a teenager, he was uninterested in school – but became ____ in music, listening to a huge ____ of contemporary American music.
A. bored – amount
B. reluctant – diversity
C. reckless – type
D. absorbed – range
23. Elvis Presley was ____ for the idea that rock ‘n’ roll music was having a negative effect on American teenagers.
A. accused B. convicted
C. criticized D. charged
24. If Presley was considered a controversial and a rebellious ____, it just made him more popular with young listeners.
A. creator B. figure
C. character D. celebration
25. Darwin was ____ a place on the HMS Beagle to act as a natural scientist on a voyage to the coast of South America.
A. won B. gained
C. offered D. admitted
26. Influenced by the work of Malthus, Darwin came ____ a theory of natural selection and gradual evolution over time.
A. off B. into
C. out D. up with
27. In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the ____ of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best ____ their environment
A. expense – to
B. cost – for
C. expenditure – of
D. stake – to
28. Van Gogh played a ____ role in the development of modern art.
29. Van Gogh was ____ to a lunatic asylum where he would spend time on and off until his death in 1890.
A. related B. referred
C. adapted D. committed
30. Oprah Winfrey has played a key role in modern American life, shaping cultural ____ and promoting various liberal causes.
A. values B. trends
C. potentials D. prosperity
|21.A||22.D||23.C||24. B||25. C|
IV. Indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
1. His early death only cemented his legendary status, and Elvis Presley has become deeply ingrained in popular culture.
2. A distinctive feature of Trump’s business and real estate ventures has been the prominent use of his own name.
3. Mother Teresa was a Roman Catholic nun who devoted her life to serving the poor and destitute around the world.
4. Marilyn Monroe has become an iconic representative of fame and female beauty.
5. Marilyn Monroe was an epitome of sensuality, beauty and effervescence and was naturally photogenic.
6. Despite the media often being dismissive of Monroe’s potential, her efforts to improve acting paid off.
B. broke down
D. met with success
7. Margaret Thatcher was known for her tough uncompromising conservative political views, and became dubbed as ‘The Iron Lady’.
8. He is commonly referred to as the “The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll” and epitomizes the post-war pop generation
A. be representative of
D. expands on
9. Leonardo da Vinci created rare masterpieces of art such as The Mona Lisa’ and ‘The Last Supper’.
A. worthless works of art
B. invaluable property
C. excellent qualifications
D. excellent works of art
10. Da Vinci studied all aspects of life and his far-reaching investigations and discoveries sought to show an underlying unity of the universe.
V. Indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
1. Da Vinci from an early age began to display his remarkable academic and artistic talents.
2. Joachim Lafosse confirms his exceptional talent with “Free Student”, a film that is more conventional in its form.
A. out of the ordinary
3. Van Gogh became one of the most celebrated artists of the twentieth century.
4. Michael stood out for his exceptional enthusiasm and soft, infectious musical voice.
A. attract attention
B. be inconspicuous
C. be conspicuous
D. stick out a mile
5. In recent years, Madonna has continued to tour, release albums and engage in humanitarian work.
A. throw oneself into
B. become uninvolved in
C. have a hand in
D. take part in
6. Henry VIII was equally notorious for his six marriages and several scandalous love affairs.
7. The works Da Vinci did finish were often spectacular masterpieces, such as his paintings The Last Supper and The Mona Lisa.
B. out of this world
8. The death of Diana princess had a profound impact on the British public and those in other countries.
VI. Put the verb in the past simple tense or the past continuous.
1. When I (arrive) _____________ at this house, he still (sleep) ______.
2. The light (go) ____________ out while we (have) ____________ dinner.
3. Bill (have) _______ breakfast when I (stop) ______ at this house this morning.
4. She (wash) ______ up when Tam (arrive) ___________ at this house.
5. As we (cross) __________ the Street, we (see) __________ an accident.
6. Tom (see) _______ a serious accident while he (stand) _______ at the bus stop.
7. The children (play) _____ football when their mother (come) ____back home.
8. The bell (ring) ___________ while Tom (take) __________ a bath.
9. He (sit) _______ in a car when I (see) ___________ him.
10. We (clean) ______ the house when she (come) _________ yesterday.
1. When I (arrive) __arrived__ at this house, he still (sleep)__was still sleeping__.
2. The light (go) _____went___ out while we (have) ____were having__ dinner.
3. Bill (have) __was having___ breakfast when I (stop) ____stopped___ at this house this morning.
4. She (wash) __was washing__ up when Tam (arrive) __arrived__ at this house.
5. As we (cross) __were crossing___ the Street, we (see) ___saw___ an accident.
6. Tom (see) __saw___ a serious accident while he (stand) ___was standing___ at the bus stop.
7. The children (play) ____were playing_____ football when their mother (come) _____came____ back home.
8. The bell (ring) ___rang___ while Tom (take) __was taking___ a bath.
9. He (sit) ___was sitting____ in a car when I (see) ____saw_____ him.
10. We (clean) ___were cleaning____ the house when she (come) ____came____ yesterday.
VII. Add “A/ AN/ THE/ X” to each of the following sentences.
1. He made his first attempt to engage in sporting activities four years ago with _________ support of his family.
2. He was _________ most talented football player that our school had produced in years. His talent for _________ football was great.
3. He did _________ Black Mountain hike with his friends, but had to check his blood glucose levels every four hours.
4. Do you know Professor Phan Huy Le whose great achievement was his books on ____________ history of Viet Nam in ______________ 19th century?
5. __________ following year, he took part in Melbourne Sunset run to raise funds for __________ orphanage.
6. He wishes to straighten up and lead ___________ respectable life. He would like to be socially acceptable due to his good behavior.
7. He had to brake hard to avoid hitting _________ truck in front.
8. Doing things with generosity will give us _____________ true happiness. _____________ more we give away, ___________ happier we are.
9. His career as _________ journalist was full of distinguished achievements. He was _________ respected and admired journalist.
10. Five years ago, when Edward was 35 years old, he was diagnosed with _____________ diabetes.
1. He made his first attempt to engage in sporting activities four years ago with __the__ support of his family.
2. He was __the__ most talented football player that our school had produced in years. His talent for ___x___ football was great.
3. He did __the__ Black Mountain hike with his friends, but had to check his blood glucose levels every four hours.
4. Do you know Professor Phan Huy Le whose great achievement was his books on ___ the ___ history of Viet Nam in ____ the ___ 19th century?
5. ___ the ___ following year, he took part in ___ the __ Melbourne Sunset run to raise funds for __ an ___ orphanage.
6. He wishes to straighten up and lead ___a___ respectable life. He would like to be socially acceptable due to his good behavior.
7. He had to brake hard to avoid hitting ___ the ___ truck in front.
8. Doing things with generosity will give us ____x____ true happiness. ____ the ___ more we give away, ___ the ___ happier we are.
9. His career as ___a___ journalist was full of distinguished achievements. He was __a_ respected and admired journalist.
10. Five years ago, when Edward was 35 years old, he was diagnosed with ____x____ diabetes.
VIII. Choose the best answer A, B, C or D to complete the sentences.
1. She has read ____ interesting book.
A. a B. an
C. the D. X
2. You’ll get ____ shock if you touch ____ live wire with that screwdriver.
A. an/ the B. x/ the
C. a/ a D. an/ the
3. Mr. Smith is ____ old customer and ____ honest man.
A. An/ the B. the/ an
C. an/ an D. the/ the
4. I first met her four years ago when we ____ at a middle school.
A. had been studying
B. are studying
C. have been studying
D. were studying
5. This school has an excellent ____ in the community.
A. image B. reputation
C. name D. opinion
6. ____ youngest boy has just started going to ____ school.
A. a/ x B. x/ the
C. an/ x D. the/ x
7. Do you go to ____ prison to visit him?
A. the B. a
C. x D. an
8. The boys broke a window when they ____ football.
A. played B. were playing
C. half played D. are playing
9. In spite of having a peasant ____, Nguyen Hue had proved that he was really an excellent general, only gained victories.
A. situation B. experience
C. condition D. background
10. As well as being a successful actor, Clint Eastwood is a ____ film director.
A. talent B. talented
C. distinguish D. respectful
11. I ____ about him when suddenly he came in.
A. talk B. talked
C. am talking D. was talking
12. At first, Microsoft had ____ hyphen in the name “Micro-soft”, ____ combination of microcomputer and ____ software.
A. a – the – a B. a – a – X
C. the – the – X D. X – a – the
13. Le Loi used the ____ war, moving from little to large scale.
A. mid-term B. short-term
C. long-term D. half term
14. Last night at this time, they ____ the same thing. She ____ and he ____ the newspaper.
A. are doing/ is cooking/ is reading
B. were doing/ was cooking/ was reading
C. was doing/ has cooked/ is reading
D. had done/ was cooking/ read
15. When Carol ____ last night, I ____ my favorite show on television.
A. was calling/ watched
C. called/ was watching
B. called/ have watched
D. had called/ watched
IX. Choose the word or phrase among A, B, C or D that needs correction.
1. The shortage of cooking gas in North Korea raised prices: an example of how the law of supply and demand also apply to planned economies.
A. The shortage of B. raised
C. an example of D. apply
2. In the latter half of the nineteenth century, physical techniques making it possible to determine the chemical constitution of stars.
A. latter half B. making it
C. to determine D. of stars
3. In 1997, molecular biologist L. Mark Lagrimini of Ohio State University cloned the gene in that codes for a type of peroxidase found in tobacco plants.
A. In B. in that
C. a type of D. found
4. Alpine Sainte nards are too good at following the scent of humans, even in snow, that they are used by ski patrols as rescue dogs.
A. too B. following
C. used D. as
5. Booker T. Washington, head of the first industrial school for African Americans, was as popular with Southerners than he was with Northerners.
A. first industrial B. was
C. popular with D. than he
X. Indicate the correct response to each of the following exchanges.
1. “How do you like your steak done?” – “____.”
A. I don’t like it B. Very little
C. Well done D. Very much
2. “Oops! I’m sorry for stepping on your foot” – “____.”
A. Never mind B. You don’t mind
C. You’re welcome D. That’s fine
3. Anne: “Fancy a bite to eat?” – Barbara: “____”
A. No thanks, I’ve just had some.
B. No thanks, I’ve just had something.
C. No thanks, I’m not neatly very thirsty.
D. No thanks, I’m trying to give up.
4. Receptionist: “Good morning.” – Chris: “Good morning. I’ve come to ____ Mrs. Dabria.”
C. do business with
D. hold a talk with
5. Arm and Mary are studying in their classroom.
Ann: “Can I borrow your dictionary?” – Mary: “____”
A. I’m afraid I can’t
B. Here you are!
C. I think so.
D. It doesn’t matter.
6. Jack and Joe are discussing how to make salad for dinner.
Jack: “____” – Joe: “How about putting some grapes in it, instead?”
A. We could fry some onions with it too.
B. I’d rather just have some bread, thanks.
C. Let’s put some pieces of apple in the salad.
D. Good idea! I’ll go and make one.
7. – Would you mind lending me you bike?” – “____.”
A. Yes. Here it is
B. Not at all
D. Yes, let’s
8. Havy: “Thanks for your help, Judy.” – Judy: “____.”
A. With all my heart
B. Never remind me
C. It’s my pleasure
D. Wish you
I. Choose the word or phrase from the box that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
milestones; prolific; like; won; funded;
breakthroughs; making; revolutionary
Elon Musk is one of the greatest and most (1) __________ modern inventors and is responsible for monumental advancements in futuristic technology (2) _______ renewable energy and space travel. Many of his innovations seem to be right out of a science-fiction movie, but throughout his career he has brought about huge scientific (3) _______. After (4) _______ his first fortune from the internet payment service ‘PayPal’, he invested $100 million in his space travel company, ‘SpaceX’ and began building satellites, launch vehicles and other spacecraft both for NASA and for his own company, creating new (5) _________ with his privately (6) ______ spacecraft. Many of his (7) ________ ideas and inventions focus on space travel, renewable energy, commercial electric cars and other technologies, that look to a future where fossil fuels and other resources may be in shorter supply. His futuristic and visionary ideas have (8) _________ him both scientific and philanthropic recognition and awards.
|1. prolific||2. like||3. breakthroughs||4. making|
|5. milestones||6. funded||7. revolutionary||8. won|
II. Choose the word or phrase among A, B, C or D that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
Gia Long was the first emperor of the Nguyen dynasty as well as the (1) ____ father of the modern nation of Vietnam. Born as Nguyen Phuc Anh, he was the nephew of the last Nguyen lord who ruled over southern Vietnam. (2) ____ being born into a royal family, he had to (3) ____ many difficulties in his early life as he became the (4) ____ of rival groups who attempted to (5) ____ the Nguyen clan completely. After the deaths of his father and uncle at the hands of the rival leaders, Nguyen Phuc Anh fled to the southern coastal tip of Vietnam where (6) ____ he met a French priest, Pigneau de Behaine, who would (7) ____ become his trusted adviser and play a major role in his (8) ____ to power. He escaped with the help of the priest and later on sought aid from the French in his struggle (9) ____ his rivals. (10) ____ the help of the French, and equipped with (11) ____ European armaments, he was (12) ____ in securing victories over his rivals.
1. A. found
2. A. Because of
B. In view of
C. Despite of
D. In spite of
3. A. encounter
B. face up
D. get by
4. A. shield
5. A. wipe off
B. wipe out
C. kill up
6. A. by chance
B. on occasion
C. on purpose
D. at stake
7. A. at last
8. A. raise
9. A. for
10. A. With
C. But for
11. A. advance
12. A. engaged